How to Register

John Paul I registers new students throughout the school year, however, acceptance depends on classroom availability Parents must have a Certificate of Eligibility for their child.

You must bring the following documents with you to register your child:

  • Long Version Birth Certificate (showing Both Parents' Names)
  • Immigration Papers (required if not born in Canada)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for English Education
  • Proof of residence (lease, driver's licence, utility invoice etc.)
  • Child's most recent report card

Certificate of Eligibility

In order to qualify for English Instruction in Quebec Public Schools, students must meet certain eligibility criteria under the Charter of the French Language as set out by the Quebec government.

To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, parents must complete an application at the Community Services (Law 101) office located at the English Montreal School Board head office. Please consult the EMSB website for information on eligibility requirements:

International Families

John Paul I Junior High School welcomes students and their families to Canada from all over the world. Families living Quebec on a temporary basis (work or school visa) can be eligible to send their children to an English public school.

For More information on the application process for international students, please click on the link for the English Montreal School Board's international student information below:

Entrance Exams

In order to be accepted into our IB Middle Years Program, the student must pass an entrance exam.